ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is an international analysis and advisory organization that examines the effectiveness of climate and energy policies. Focusing on major developed and developing country emitters, CPI evaluates policy performance and develops practical advice to help policymakers fast-track best practices. CPI works in partnership with governments, the private sector, academia and others to ensure its work is robust, relevant, and helps countries achieve low-carbon growth.
CPI’s headquarters are in San Francisco, and we have programs based in Beijing, Berlin, Hyderabad, Jakarta, Rio de Janeiro, and Venice. We partner with world-renowned research and policy institutions in each of these locations to leverage local resources and expertise.
CPI is looking for a highly skilled, experienced, and motivated Senior Analyst to provide analytical expertise and management support for its research agenda, with a primary emphasis on the India Program. Based in San Francisco, this individual will collaborate regularly with CPI analysts in San Francisco and on the ground in India, ensuring that their research reflects CPI’s greater mission and effectively reaches relevant audiences.
Under the supervision of the Senior Program Director, the successful candidate will help shape and influence CPI’s strategy and analytical foundation. They will design, propose, and manage complex research assignments, analyzing policy and drawing lessons for policymakers from CPI’s work in other regions.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to lead teams and mentor staff to deliver high quality and timely analysis. They will build and maintain relationships with analytic, advocacy and other organizations within India’s climate policy sphere, as well as provide advice and support to policymakers at the regional and federal level.
CPI offers a challenging environment that requires independent thinking, collaboration and pragmatic problem solving. The successful applicant will undertake robust and careful analysis that draws on methodologies from a range of disciplines including public policy, economics, law and natural resource management.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Collaborate closely with the Senior Program Director to guide the development of the organization’s research agenda, with a primary emphasis on the India program.
• Design, propose, manage, and implement complex climate and energy policy analysis that provides actionable insights for policymakers.
• Manage and mentor staff based in both the San Francisco office and India, as well as provide guidance across the CPI network.
• Engage policymakers and other stakeholders throughout the research process.
• 5+ years of experience in public policy analysis in government, non-profit, consulting or multilateral organizations.
• Strong knowledge of Indian climate and/or energy policy required; advanced degree in relevant field highly preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to lead projects and manage teams across multiple locations.
• Existing contacts in India’s policymaking sphere, and a desire to utilize and expand this professional network to further CPI’s mission.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
• A deep commitment to the mission and values of CPI.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The expected start date for this position is March 2013. The position will be located in San Francisco. CPI offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
Using the link below, please submit your application, including cover letter, resume, salary requirements, one 2-4 page analytical writing sample, and one “new media” writing sample (i.e. blog post or op-ed). Indicate the position for which you are applying. All materials should be in English and submitted by February 15, 2013. No phone calls, please.